The Farming Life For Me

In the september 2003 issue of your magazine, you wrote that many farm kids wanted to live in the city. Well , I am a farm kid and I don't want to live in the city, in fact, I want to explain exactly why I think it's better to grow up on a farm than to grow up in the city.

First, farm kids are too busy with farm work to get into trouble with guns, drugs, nd alcohol like a lot of city kids do. We usualy go home right after school to work on the farm and help our parents . We have to milk to cows, feed all the animals, drive the tractor in the fields, fix fences, help with watering the crops, or any other kind of farm work- All these things keep us busy and out of trouble.

Second, farm kids understand at an early age what's really important in life. We help our parents when animals are born, and we take care of these animals until they die. I remember getting to pull my first lamb when I was six. Watching the birth of an animal always makes me feel warm and happy. At the same time, I know why we raise these animals . They are going to be hamburgers and fried chicken. Like me, most farm kids can see life and death on the farm. The gives us an understanding of human life and death that city kids do not have.

In addition, farm kids have amuch better understanding of nature than do many city kids. We work outside all year. We almost always get to watch the sunrise. We understand how heat or wind or snow can change our crops. We understand how much water different crops need at different times of year. We can put our hands in the soil and know how much water it needs. We know how to choose the best trees in our woods to cut down. Those are just a few of the many out door skills that farm kids learn young.

Finally, farm kids have a greater sense of responsibility than most city kids. We know that crops and animals are totally dependent on us. We know that they can die if we don't do our work. I learned at an early age to feed and water the animals on time, and to water the crops regulary. Sometimes I am tired or sick, or it's freezing cold or blowing snow. Even then, I know that I have to do these things because the animals, the crops, and my family dependon me.

For all these reasons, I think that it's better to grow up on a farm than to grow up in the city. My own experience of growing up on a family farm in southern Colorado tells me this me this. I know that growing up on a farm made me the responsible, hardworking, and thoughtful young person my parents and community can be proud of.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Facebook

Kategoriler

Medyads.com - Medyadsense Theme

About me